The Progressive Left’s Agenda To Corrupt Education
December 13, 2021
The culture war rages on, and education is a prime target of the progressive left that seeks to indoctrinate the students, as young as kindergarten, into a corrupt and deviant lifestyle.
Just when parents thought it was Critical Race Theory they were concerned about in the education of their children, along comes Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Although it may sound reasonable and might be beneficial to the students progress, it also has what many would consider a dark side, another questionable and dangerous intrusion into the lives and minds of children as young as kindergarten age, and their parents.
The theory behind SEL, according to its fundamental vision, is to provide a positive foundation, which is enhanced by the development of self awareness, self- and impulse-control, and interpersonal skills, the kinds of skills that instill in the student the capacity to better cope with the challenges he or she might face in life, from problem-solving to self-discipline.
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning is an organization that seeks to assist students and educators on a path to achieve positive results. This group has issued a report that lists five “core competencies” of SEL that can be applied in the classroom, home and community:
* Self-awareness – To recognize your emotions and how they impact your behavior; acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses to better gain confidence in your abilities.
* Self-management – To take control and ownership of your thoughts, emotions, and actions in various situations, as well as setting and working toward goals.
* Social awareness – The ability to put yourself in the shoes of another person who may be from a different background or culture from the one you grew up with, and to act with empathy and in an ethical manner within your home, school, and community.
* Relationship skills – The ability to build and maintain healthy relationships with people from a diverse range of backgrounds. This competency focuses on listening to and being able to communicate with others, peacefully resolving conflict, and knowing when to ask for or offer help.
* Making responsible decisions – Choosing how to act or respond to a situation based on learned behaviors such as ethics, safety, weighing consequences and the well-being of others, as well as yourself.
Again, at first glance SEL would appear to be a positive effort on the part of educators, in the classroom, to develop in the student skills that can provide for their development, and the capacity to deal with challenges they will face in life. But as we have come to realize, especially in education, not all things are as they at first appear.
Although SEL is not considered a subject, such as mathematics, history and reading, it can, as defined, be “woven into the fabric of the curriculum,” and it appears some of its elements are an attempt to indoctrinate the student with radical and extremist propaganda. As an example, West Hartford Connecticut Elementary School teachers, according to irate parents, are using words like non-binary and writing gender-neutral definitions on the blackboard, and also instructing students that they can live their life as a gender they choose, other than the one they were born with.
The Attorney General of Indiana, Todd Rokita, warned of SEL saying “The role of teachers is shifted from educators to therapists,” and cautioned parents and also encouraged them to speak out. SEL is heavily funded by leftist groups, and well-received by educational bureaucrats. COVID relief funds have also been funneled into the purchase of SEL programs. Advocates and the businesses that produce SEL materials have their representatives lobbying Congress and the Federal Education Department to ensure any legislation is compliant with their agenda.
SEL, aside from any of the positives it may offer, is an arrow in the quiver of the progressive left; it is another element of LGBTQ, which seeks, in part, to instill in the minds of the student the non-binary theory, and that they could pursue a life as a gender that is different from their true biological sex, what they were born as. Those of us who embrace the traditional and America-first agenda must be vigilant and ready to confront any and all radical and extreme progressive assaults on society, especially in education, and its most vulnerable members, the children.
Visit Bob Pascarella's website at www.ShortStoriesInVerse.com