Mr. Trump: We are a Republic; We are NOT a Democracy
October 21, 2019
Democrats think we are a Democracy. They want a government where the mob rules because they are good at creating mobs. Just tell the average poor or middle-class person that you will give them lots of free stuff, and they will join your mob.
Founding Father Alexander Hamilton said during the writing of our Constitution in 1787: “We are now forming a republican government. Real liberty is neither found in despotism or the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments.”
The Constitutional Convention was held in secret, with guards at the doors. When it was over, Benjamin Franklin was taking a walk when a woman approached him. "Well, Mr. Franklin," she asked, "what kind of government have you given us?" He replied, "A Republic, if you can keep it."
If they cared about our nation, they would heed Founding Father John Adam's words written in 1814. “Remember Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a Democracy yet, that did not commit suicide,” he wrote, before continuing, “It is in vain to Say that Democracy is less vain, less proud, less selfish, less ambitious or less avaricious than Aristocracy or Monarchy. It is not true in Fact and nowhere appears in history. Those Passions are the same in all Men under all forms of Simple Government, and when unchecked, produce the same Effects of Fraud Violence and Cruelty.”
In its purest form, a Democracy is a system of governance in which 51% of the people can vote to tax the other 49% and keep the money for themselves. There is no protection for any minority in a Democracy. Ben Franklin is quoted as saying, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch."
A Republic, on the other hand, is a representative form of government, in which the rights of all citizens are protected. The people elect their representatives, and their representatives are supposed to represent their constituents' view in the Senate or the House of Representatives. But if their constituents want something that is unconstitutional or tramples on the rights of others, they are duty-bound to vote against such measures.
I understand why Democrats and some of the more Liberal Republicans call the United States a Democracy. But President Trump knows better. He knows that there has never been a Democracy that survived. He knows that our Constitution, a document that has outlasted every constitution in the world and has made us the best and strongest nation the world has ever known, specifically made us a Representative Republic.
Laws made by elected representatives are meant to be fair. If people find laws unfair, they can elect other leaders who can change those laws. A republic allows greater freedom and prosperity.
So why does Mr. Trump call the United States a Democracy in public? I have no idea. But I pray that he stops making that false statement.
The Evils of Democracy and the Mob; Quotes from some of the Greatest Minds in History
Democracy or Republic?
He has written thousands of articles that have been republished in national newspapers and on hundreds of websites, and is a frequent guest on radio and television shows. His weekly Conservative Truth article (which is read by 250,000) offers a unique viewpoint on social, moral and political issues from a Biblical worldview. This has resulted in invitations to speak internationally at churches, conferences, Money Shows, universities, and on TV (including the 700 Club).
“Dr. Tom,” as his readers and followers affectionately refer to him, has a passion for teaching, as you can see from his ministry website (www.ChristianFinancialConcepts.com); his patriotic site (www.ConservativeTruth.org); and his business site (www.GoldenArtTreasures.com). Tom's friend Dr. Lance Wallnau wrote of him, "Tom Barrett is a Renaissance man with a passion for subject matter ranging from finance to theology and American history."
Visit Dr. Tom Barrett's website at www.DrTom.TV